Sunday, December 4, 2011

Project #7 C4K November

In this Age of Exploration post, a student named Lauren discusses her choice to take a project-based history course, thinking it would be more fun than a lecture course. She quickly finds out that doing research and projects is not easy. She questions her choice. But she soon appreciates her decision when she realizes the freedom in choosing her own topics and being able to do projects the way she wants to do them. I told her I would also find a project-based course appealing because it is not as rigid as the usual classes with lectures and “burp-back” assignments and tests. I really liked the Clay P. Bedford quote she shared: “You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.”

Next, I was assigned to read day 291 of Mrs. Yollis' 365 blog project. In September, Mrs. Yollis received the Teacher of the Year award in her Los Angeles school district. One reward she received was a MobiView, which is an interactive white board. In honor of this great achievement, Mrs. Yollis was asked to give a speech to the 1,100 school district employees. She said she was very nervous, but luckily she happened to be seated next to a guide dog. She was comforted by petting the dog. On her blog she asked if readers have ever seen a guide dog on duty and asks how a guide dog can help someone. I congratulated her on such a prestigious award and answered her by saying yes, I have seen a guard dog on duty and listed a couple of websites about the duties a guide dog can carry out.

In the last post, student Kashya at Pt. England School shows a drawing of a slug climbing a mountain and writes this: “Stupid King Kong knowingly embarrassed his friend. Knowingly embarrassing stupid King Kong, Mr Monkey pulled down his pants. King Kong was stupid to say, he knowingly embarrassed himself. Creepy slugs unfortunately attempted to eat my brother. Unfortunately attempting to kill the cat, the creepy slugs died. Attempting to unfortunately to climb the sky tower, the creepy slug fell and left a goey mess. Running down the mountain the creepy slugs unfortunately attempted to climb back up.”

I am still not sure what she was writing about! I searched online to find out who King Kong and Slug were but all I could find was a Wikipedia article about a television show from the 1960’s. I asked her, in my comments, who were King Kong and Slug. I also asked if she was the person who drew the picture. I wondered what King Kong did to embarrass the monkey. I also jokingly asked why the slug wants to eat her brother.

three hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil monkeys with a fourth monkey at a computer saying no one said anything about blogging

No comments:

Post a Comment